1. Aside from Moses and ultimately Jesus, can you think of any other echoes to Hagar’s story? Who else spends time in the wilderness, and are they following a similar pattern?
2. Should Abraham have done more to protect Hagar & Ishmael? Why or why not?
3. What is the significance of the fact that Hagar is the first person to see God in person, face-to-face, since Adam & Eve were cast out of the garden?
4. In this story, what is the significance of laughter? What do we learn from it about the Promised Son?
5. How is this passage show us God’s thoughts about women? What should we learn from that?
6. What is the significance of the one chosen son?
7. What are some of the ways in which you feel like an outsider looking in? How will the gospel shape how you react to that circumstance?
8. What categories do you use to describe yourself? Where did you get those categories? What words does God use to describe you?